Thursday, January 24, 2013

A BIG Thank You

This post is for all of our amazing volunteers-
For our Big Sisters and Big Brothers who take the time to hang out with little kids. For our staff who spend their days making matches and working tirelessly to keep our doors open, and for our board members who are always giving us their all. and of course, its for our interns, our sponsors and our amazing community for always supporting us! 
Without all of you we wouldn't be able to do what we do, and we are so thankful! We want to share with you some testimonials from people who have benefited from your support. 
What a Big Brother did for Nicole’s son…
“My name is Nicole, and I’m a busy, self-employed, single-mother of an amazing 8 year-old boy named Nickolas. Nick and I have been on our own for awhile now and have truly been to hell and back. We have survived living through domestic violence and are really proud of how far we have come from where we once started. My son has been without a dad since he was 8 months old. The void and absence that this has caused within our lives is something that has brought me a lot of heartache and sadness.
“I was extremely fortunate to have learned about Big Brothers Big Sisters while we were living at Dorothy Place. Although, Nick was put on a waiting list that was over a year long, I must say that it was well worth the wait!
“Little did I know that we would get matched with the perfect “Big Brother,” for Nick, this amazing man’s name is David. David and Nick hit it off right away by doing some of the things that Nick loves best, being outdoors, spending quality time together, bonding and playing with some pretty amazing creatures that Mother Nature provides.
“We have been truly blessed to have known David for over a year and to have him be a part of Nick’s life. David may not know it, but the type of impact that he has made in my son’s life is one that brings tears to my eyes as I write this letter. David is helping to fill the all too important role of being a much needed healthy male figure in my son’s life. (Thankfully, Nick is also blessed to have a wonderful and healthy role model that his Grandpa provides as well and does an unbelievable job with!) For a young boy I think that one of the most important things for him to have in his life is a man to look up to, to learn from and to gain insight, knowledge and skills into what it means to be a “very good man.” This is what David is for my son, but I see him also, “A True Hero Within Our Lives!”
“Thank you from the bottom of my heart David! When you decided to make a huge difference in our lives and volunteer for the ‘Big Brother/Big Sister,’ program without an expectation of compensation, you sacrificed a part of yourself that my son is benefiting so much from. What else could any person in my shoes ask for? You’re the best!”

Sharon on her son’s experience with a Big Brother:
“I have always felt that my son will be a great person when he grows up. I knew that getting a Big Brother or Sister would contribute to his enthusiastic attitude about life. When he was paired with Katie [in the School Buddies Program], he was ecstatic! He looks up to her and loves to spend time just talking and hanging out. Every child could use an older “brother” or “sister” to be there for them and just be a positive influence in their lives. Andre looks forward to seeing her and keeping in touch even when school is out. I know this is a friendship that he will remember and treasure.”
For more testimonials, visit our website at www.bbbs-nw.org.
If you're interested in volunteering, please don't hesitate to call or email us! We can never have too many volunteers : ) 
Our next big event is Bowl for Kids' Sake, its not to early to sign up your team and start gathering donations! Join us in April for a fun day of snacks, prizes and bowling ! 
Happy Mentoring month everyone! 



No comments:

Post a Comment